[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Where does the saying "Good Luck" come from?  XML
Forum Index » General Questions
heartmelodytojesus

Dear Keepers of the Faith Company,

I have been hearing so many people saying "good luck," luckily," "guess, I'm just lucky," and things like this all of the time when I go out into public.

I personally don't believe in "luck" but in the Providence of God. I think that we are all continually either choosing good or evil everyday of our lives especially when you look at heart motives. For instance, I don't think that the man on drugs on the street somehow "ran out of luck" one day but that he made very poor choices to get where he is.

But where did this "lucky" thing come from? Do you happen to know the origin?

I even hear church people using this word! I know a lot of people use the lucky sayings all of the time especially in the world...to many it's like saying I hope you do well...but I just feel like something is definitely wrong with it especially when I look at God's Word, the Bible.

Thanks in advance. I know you all must be very busy...so when you have the time...please answer this.

Sincerely in Christ,
Charity

Psalm 60:11 Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.

Self, the world, men, and others are crying out for me to listen...it is all so confusing, who do I listen to?
Then a sweet peace comes over my soul when I realize God is the one in control. I must listen to God above all else. God, what does Thee think in Thy Word? Like Samuel said, Speak LORD, for thy servant heareth. Amen
SusanZ

The internet is a wonderful thing for instant knowledge. I just googled, "Where does the saying 'Good Luck' come from. I have copied the answer below taken from WikiAnswers.com.

Meaning

By fortunate chance.

Origin

From Shakespeare's The Merry Wives of Windsor, 1600:

FALSTAFF:

You shall hear. As good luck would have it, comes
in one Mistress Page; gives intelligence of Ford's
approach; and, in her invention and Ford's wife's
distraction, they conveyed me into a buck-basket.

Of course, Christians believe that a heavenly Father who knows how many hairs are on our heads, and knows the thoughts of our hearts, and knows the future before it happens, and answers prayers, do not believe in luck. How blessed we are to know the Saviour and have a wonderful Father in Heaven!

Susan

Susan
Keepers
MommyInTraining

I understand what you are saying!!!!

Good Luck, Fortunately, Luckily, and Proud, Proud, Proud!!!

I have told my children those are not nice words to use so they know when they hear them to not repeat them.

Just like you have found with the word 'luck', I have found that 'proud' is all over the place. The Bible teaches us to be humble, the direct opposite of proud.

Thanks for sharing!

Terri in WA
Mommy to 6 blessings by His Grace!
[Email]
MommyInTraining

Charity,

I just saw you are in WA!

What part are you in?

We are in the Tacoma/Seattle area.

Blessings,

Terri
[Email]
heartmelodytojesus

Hi Terri! Thank you for commenting on this post and for sharing! It is very encouraging.

Thank you for reminding that being "proud" is very bad in the Bible. Sometimes I forget because it is used so often as "I'm proud of you" and etc... like it is something "good."

But Biblically speaking it is not good! I asked God for forgiveness in using this so often with kids and adults alike.

I know there must be hundreds if not thousands of other ways to show our happiness and gratitude in others' good works Like...I am very encouraged that you are doing so well. Thank God!

I am in the same area as you are. I am very glad to hear that you are! I usually try to stay pretty anonymous online though because you have to be so careful online...especially when there are some ungodly people who have tried to search for me before. The world can be a dangerous place but praise the LORD we have Him to keep us!

Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him and delivereth them.

So nice to hear from you Terri. I pray that you and your family may continue to seek the LORD in His Word everyday for strength to live godly unto the end.
If you send me a private message and if you feel okay with it, please let me know what church you go to or what kind of church. I am praying for what church God wants to lead my mom and I too when we are feeling stronger in health.
Sincerely in Christ,
Charity

Psalm 60:11 Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.

Self, the world, men, and others are crying out for me to listen...it is all so confusing, who do I listen to?
Then a sweet peace comes over my soul when I realize God is the one in control. I must listen to God above all else. God, what does Thee think in Thy Word? Like Samuel said, Speak LORD, for thy servant heareth. Amen
titus2mother

Hello Ladies, I see it has been awhile since you put the requests for WA state out.
I am in the Olympia area and am willing to travel/meet up for groups. Etc.
I have an 11 year old son who is very interested in joining with some other boy or
boys for clubs. Please let us know. Vanessa
hskubes

The idea and saying behind 'luck' is a pagan concept deriving from the worship of their gods of 'luck'/'fortune'.
In our family, we have, personally, decided to avoid the sayings and pronounce a hope for God's favor instead.

~ Christina
Wife, helper, and homeschooling mama of four.
Daughter of The Most High. Seeker of Truth.

Forum Index » General Questions
Go to: